Historisches Museum am Strom - Hildegard von Bingen
As a highlight in the jubilee year “900 years of Hidegard“ Bingen opened the museum in the former electricity power station, on the bank of the Rhine not far from the mouth of the River Nahe. The power station is an industrial monument. The station was built in 1898 and was regarded as a “cathedral of progress”, and was included in the collection of Gothic and neo-Gothic sacred buildings, such as the St Martin’s church and the Rochus Chapel from the year 1895.
From the entrance to the museum you can see the Mäuseturm, the ruins of Ehrenfels Castle, the Niederwald monument and Rüdesheim.
There are three permanent exhibitions in the museum:
- The large machine hall with two stages contains the exhibition to do with Hildegard von Bingen.
- The unique surgical instruments are in the individually designed treasure room with its columns.
- The Rheinromantik (Rhine Romanticism) department brings alive the enthusiasm felt in the 19the century.
Opening times: daily 10am to 5pm (except Mondays)
||Museum am Strom
55411 Bingen am Rhein
Dienstag bis Sonntag von 10:00 Uhr - 17:00 Uhr
The museum is in the Stefan-George-Haus in Bingen, and the building belongs to the town. It is the former “Hafenkasten”, a Tudor-style building built in 1689. The exhibition in seven glass cases shows four main aspects of his life and an insight into the most important stages in his life (born in Bingen on 12 July 1868 and died on 4 December 1933 in Minusio/Locarno).
The museum contains his writing desk and part of the library he left behind. There are also books by Melchior Lechter and translations of George’s work in foreign languages and also sculptures by Victor Frank, Heinrich Moshage, Ludwig Thormaelen, Urban Thiersch and Alexander Zschokke.
The museum is run by the Stefan-George Society in co-operation with the Stefan-George Foundation in Stuttgart, to which most of the exhibits belong.
Opening times: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 2pm to 5pm
The museum is closed on public holidays
Stefan-George-Museum im Stefan-George-Haus
55411 Bingen am Rhein
Tel. 06721 991094